Everyone wants a dazzling and healthy smile. But, do you smile with lips closed even if you want to smile brighter? Do you feel awkward when you show your teeth while smiling or talking?
As we all know that dentistry has done miracles in the past few years. Dental veneers are one of them. These can repair your canines and you will certainly smile freely without hesitating.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) states that veneers are highly stain-resistant. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about discoloration or whitening all the time.
What are veneers?
Dental veneers are basically wafer-thin, custom-made tooth shells colored materials designed to cover the front surface of the tooth. They are nothing but the porcelain shells.
These shells are attached to the front of the teeth changing their color, size, shape, and length.
Types of Dental Veneers
There are two types i.e Partial veneers and Full Veneers.
Partial Veneers are applied when the tooth defect is minuscule. On the other hand, full veneers cover the major defect which is a visible portion of the tooth.
Issues that Dental Veneers can fix
- Worn out teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Misaligned, uneven, or irregular teeth
- The gap between teeth
- Stained or discolored teeth
Local anesthesia is given to make sure that there is no discomfort. Often is not required.
Once the tooth is prepared, the dentist makes an impression mold. The color of the surrounding teeth is matched on the shade guide to make sure the veneer looks natural. The bonding is done with a special adhesive which holds it firmly on the tooth.
This procedure generally requires at least two visits. Hence, you have to schedule at least two appointments with your dentist.
- They give a natural tooth appearance.
- Gum tissue tolerates porcelain.
- They are stain-resistant.
- It replaces the damaged enamel.
- They are expensive.
- You may experience sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures for the first few days after the procedure.
- It is totally an irreversible procedure.
Post-treatment care and maintenance
- Brush, floss and rinse your teeth regularly.
- Use a teeth whitening toothpaste.
- Floss with caution to prevent breaking.
- Go easy on teeth-staining foods and drinks.
- Avoid cigarettes and tobacco consumption.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
Veneers are indeed a boon to cosmetic dentistry. Ask your dentist about this procedure and smile brighter.