According to Ayurveda, the Coconut tree is called as ‘Kalpavriksha’, meaning a useful tree. Right from the roots to the coconut shell, each and every part of the tree has benefits.
Coconut oil is used right from our ancestors until today. We use it in cooking, as hair oil, and even as a massaging oil to make the skin soft and supple. There are many benefits of oil pulling.
However, there are also claims that it cleans and oil pulling whitens your teeth, and prevents tooth decay.
Know more about coconut oil
Coconut oil is an edible extract from coconut meat. And, it is the world’s richest source of saturated fat.
However, coconut fat is very unique as it is made almost entirely of medium-chain triglycerides(MCT).
The MCTs are metabolized differently than the long-chain fatty acids found in many other foods.
Lauric acid is a medium-chain fatty acid that makes up almost 50% of the coconut oil.
According to the research, lauric acid is effective at killing bacteria than any other saturated fat.
A maneuver called oil pulling or making toothpaste with it are the popular ways to use coconut oil for dental health.
We recommend 100 % pure coconut oil for oil pulling.
Nutritional highlights of coconut oil
Vitamin A- Keeps the lining of the oral cavity healthy and free from all the infections.
It also moisturizes the oral cavity and prevents dry mouth. It also enhances the quick healing of the oral tissues.
Vitamin D- It helps the body to absorb calcium and keeps teeth and bones strong.
Vitamin K- Helps in faster healing of mouth ulcers, any cuts, cheek bites and injuries in the mouth.
Vitamin E- It is an excellent antioxidant and protects the cells from damage
Benefits of lauric acid to your teeth
Lauric acid can particularly kill the oral bacteria called Streptococcus mutans, which is responsible for tooth decay.
Oil pulling remove plaque and fights gum disease and infections thus making the gums stronger and healthier.
Lauric acid can prevent dental caries and tooth loss. Coconut oil attacks Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacillus, which are the two groups of bacteria which cause tooth decay.
Studies have shown many advantages of oil pulling and can help flush out the bacteria and make them whiter and brighter. Oil pulling also helps in reducing the bad breath.
Technique of Oil pulling
Oil pulling is a growing trend. But it is quite ancient and traditionally practiced (ayurvedic oil pulling instructions).
Which coconut oil should be used for oil pulling?
- Pure coconut oil used for cooking can be used for oil pulling. Take 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your mouth and gargle or swish the oil for about 10- 15 mins.
- Swishing the oil in between your teeth will help break down the plaque and flush out all the food particles stuck on the tooth surfaces, thus reducing the bacterial load in the mouth.
Do you swallow the oil or spit it out?
- Spit the oil into the trash or toilet. Never spit in the basin as it can later clog the pipes.
- Remember not to swallow the oil since it now it is contaminated with all the bacteria, toxins, plaque and debris.
- Rinse your teeth with lukewarm salt water and spit that out. Finally, after oil pulling brush your teeth thoroughly to remove all the bacterial remains.
Who all can practice oil pulling?
Children – Children above 5 years can practice oil pulling since below the age of 5 years the child may swallow the oil. The child must be old enough to understand the dos and the don’ts!
Pregnancy – Dental care is very important in pregnancy. Oil pulling is proven to be safer in pregnancy.
Any previous dental treatments – People with fillings, root canal treated teeth, crown or caps, bridges, veneers, extracted teeth, implants placed in their mouth, any surgeries or any medical conditions can practice oil pulling without any fear.
Denture wearers – Regular denture wearers should practice oil pulling without the dentures.
Can we do oil pulling daily?
Definitely, oil pulling as such has no side effects and does not cause any harm to our oral cavity. Hence it can be practiced as a regular oral hygiene regime.
Can oil pulling cure dental diseases?
Oil pulling is just a way to prevent any future dental diseases. Teeth requiring a dental filling, root canal, or even an extraction cannot be cured with oil pulling. You will have to visit your dentist to get your dental problems solved. oil pulling a a method to prevent your teeth from getting cavities and prevent gum infections. Remember oil pulling is not a treatment it’s just a way to improve your oral hygiene.
- Oil pulling is a way, one can reduce the plaque buildup on the teeth.
- It naturally decreases the bacterial load in the mouth and prevents teeth from decay as well as gum diseases.
- Use a 100% pure edible coconut oil for oil pulling.
- Oil pulling can be practiced by everyone above the age of 5.
- Oil pulling is not a treatment and cannot cure dental diseases. It is the only way one can prevent dental problems.
- Make sure you practice brushing with a fluoridated toothpaste twice daily and use a tongue cleaner.